Lifestyle & Fun
Why you might want to eat more tomatoes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Dermatologist Nicholas Perricone says what you eat, can help protect your skin from the sun.
"What happens is uv light hits the skin creates free radicals and that creates inflammation gives you a sunburn or redness," he said.
So this summer gobble down some watermelon and tomatoes. Both contain licopene, which increases our ability to stay in the sun without getting red. The licopene in tomatoes is even better absorbed when they're cooked.
Also good to eat - broccoli sprouts, which act as anti-cancer agents. You can also never have too much salmon and cocoa, which is delicious (of course) and good for your skin.
Green tea is another excellent source of protection for your skin because it contains flavonols and Epicatechin.
"It actually up regulates our body's protection, so it's really something that's important," Perricone said.
By the way, 10 to 15 minutes of unprotected sun exposure is good for you, helping you produce vitamin d. Beyond that, Dr. Perricone says wear sun block and eat right.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
skin care, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 5 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 25 min ago
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Firefightes battling Bronx car fire find body inside 39 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 25 min ago
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 2 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns' 30 min ago
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash...
25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
5 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
25 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos