Lifestyle & Fun
Surgeon turns unlucky duckling into one lucky duck
TEXAS (WABC) -- A surgeon in Texas has turned an unlucky duckling into a lucky duck.
The duck named "Frankie" had a leg that was turned almost 90 degrees.
The animal's story was aired on an Austin TV newscast, and a veterinarian saw it. He volunteered to do the surgery for a fraction of the cost.
He took a wedge of little Frankie's bone out and added a metal pin and an exterior splint to hold it all in place.
"He's going to have to have some physical therapy to stretch that joint back out, because he's had it tucked for so long," Dr. Kirk Lewis said. "And that's how he's been walking on it, kind of upside down like that. So we've got to retrain that joint, you know, to stretch it back out...It will come around because he's young and still growing."
Doctors say Frankie should be waddling around in as little as a month to six weeks.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos