Lifestyle & Fun
Utah man frees moose stuck on swing set
UTAH (WABC) -- A Utah deputy was forced to rescue a moose this week after its antlers became stuck in the chains of a backyard swing set.
Sergeant Lane Findlay found himself face to face with the moose and had to use bolt cutters to free the animal from the swing set.
The Weber County Sheriff's deputy received the call on Sunday and responded to a residential community outside Ogden, about 40 miles north of Salt Lake City.
He said the moose appeared distressed and was bleeding.
Findlay said he handed his mobile phone to an onlooker and asked the person to shoot video, telling him, "If something happens to me, give this to my wife."
The video shows the moose twisting in an attempt to free its antlers from the metal chains of the swing as Findlay cautiously approaches with the cutters.
He clips the chain links one by one until the moose finally pulls free and wanders off with minor injuries.
Findlay said he initially called wildlife officials but was told it might take an hour for them to respond.
Once free, the moose trotted to a nearby bucket of water and began drinking, then collapsed, likely from exhaustion.
Findlay said he spent about an hour spraying down the animal with a hose while waiting for wildlife officials to arrive and assess the moose's health.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Photos: Victims of East Harlem Explosion
- Australia, Kazakhstan join search for missing plane
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote 17 min ago
- Russian media warns of turning US into 'radioactive dust' 17 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon