Lifestyle & Fun
Utah man frees moose stuck on swing set
UTAH (WABC) -- A Utah deputy was forced to rescue a moose this week after its antlers became stuck in the chains of a backyard swing set.
Sergeant Lane Findlay found himself face to face with the moose and had to use bolt cutters to free the animal from the swing set.
The Weber County Sheriff's deputy received the call on Sunday and responded to a residential community outside Ogden, about 40 miles north of Salt Lake City.
He said the moose appeared distressed and was bleeding.
Findlay said he handed his mobile phone to an onlooker and asked the person to shoot video, telling him, "If something happens to me, give this to my wife."
The video shows the moose twisting in an attempt to free its antlers from the metal chains of the swing as Findlay cautiously approaches with the cutters.
He clips the chain links one by one until the moose finally pulls free and wanders off with minor injuries.
Findlay said he initially called wildlife officials but was told it might take an hour for them to respond.
Once free, the moose trotted to a nearby bucket of water and began drinking, then collapsed, likely from exhaustion.
Findlay said he spent about an hour spraying down the animal with a hose while waiting for wildlife officials to arrive and assess the moose's health.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 39 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 52 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos