Lifestyle & Fun
Which dog will be the hero of the year?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Actors win Emmys and Oscars. Singers win Grammys. And amazing dogs-- they get awards too, and you get a chance to vote for the winner.
The American Humane Association hosts the annual competition that recognizes otherwise ordinary dogs that do amazing things.
Daniel's story is pretty incredible. Last October he was put into a gas chamber along with other homeless dogs in Alabama, but somehow Daniel survived.
The animal control officer responsible for operating the gas chamber could not bear the thought of a second attempt at ending the life of this remarkable little dog.
Instead, Daniel got a second chance at life with Joe Dwyer in Nutley, New Jersey. Daniel's survival prompted lots of news coverage and many more pet adoptions. Now Daniel is being honored by the American Humane Association. He's the winner of the emerging hero category and now he's up for Hero Dog of the Year.
Stella is also up for the award. She's considered the top therapy dog. Gilda's Club in White Plains is just one of the spots she visits. Stella and her team are supporting Angel On A Leash, a unique organization in the field of therapy dogs and animal assisted interactions.
The standard poodle, a star canine headed to Hollywood for her red carpet walk, is up against 7 other dogs for hero dog of the year including Daniel.
You can cast a vote a vote on line for your favorite hero.
Learn more at http://www.herodogawards.org/vote.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
dog, dogs, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall