Lifestyle & Fun
94-year-old New York woman teaching Yoga
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Tao Porchon-Lynch is 94 years young and her flexibility and strength are just incredible.
A former model, actress and dancer, Tao has been teaching yoga for 56 years.
"It's yoga when it comes from the heart and the whole body lifts up you almost levitate," she said.
She first discovered yoga as a child growing up in a small French colony in India.
She saw some boys doing yoga on the beach.
"And I thought oh that's a fun game and my aunt said it's not for girls it's not lady like and I said if boys can do it I can do it," she adds.
And that is her philosophy, anything is possible. Her students say now they believe it.
She's a vegetarian and often skips lunch. When she eats she eats really slowly, but rarely eats much.
"I eat a half grapefruit in the morning I drink juices, I don't drink water," she said.
She's takes no medications, no supplements but has overcome major injuries, leaving her with a rod in her right leg,a hip replacement on the left, and most recently broke a wrist.
Tao added, "The doctor told me oh you won't be able to do everything Tao. I said I'm not interested in what I can't do, I'm going to do."
Tao continues to teach yoga and dance in competitions and although she's lived for almost a century, she still lives each day like it might be the last.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
exercise, yoga, lifestyle & fun, dr. sapna parikh
- I-5 bridge collapses into Skagit River
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Actress Amanda Bynes arrested in Midtown
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Anthony Weiner starts stumping in mayoral bid
- Rangers stay alive with OT goal against Bruins
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane...
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma