Lifestyle & Fun
African art celebrated in Hoboken
HOBOKEN, NJ (WABC) -- A bridge that leads you to the corner of First and Clinton to Hoboken's first African art gallery.
Inside you'll find a treasure chest of items from central and West Africa, sitting side by side.
"I felt this energy that I haven't felt in a very long time," artist Ronnie May Painter said.
Painter's wall hangings prominently feature the black Madonna on canvas drop cloth.
"They all look like they love each other. I don't know how he does it, but he does," painter said.
He is Issa Sow, the curator at Issyra Gallery. He grew up in Senegal and France, his wife, Rebecca, is from London and together travel to Africa and hand pick each one of these pieces, with a mission in mind.
"I want to bring something that they have never - perhaps, they have never seen before," sow said.
The art scene is growing and the reason why the man behind these masterpieces believes the gallery will thrive.
Ibou's artwork, which often includes African proverbs, is highly sought after.
Beatrice Lebreton's mixed media pieces feature authentic African fabric and beads, once used as currency in many African nations.
"I hope they'll bring you joy and hopefully good luck but you can really read what you want in it," Lebreton said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
hoboken, art, lifestyle & fun, kemberly richardson
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
11 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos