Lifestyle & Fun
Smokey Robinson providing fresh water around world
NEW YORK (WABC) -- He has captivated audiences for nearly six decades and now Smokey Robinson is using his star power to make sure people around the world, have access to clean drinking water.
The entertainer's newest venture called "smoke alarm", relies exclusively on social media.
He stopped by Eyewitness News and laid it all out and how his high profile celebrity friends are helping out.
"There are many places in the world where people have to give their kids contaminated water because there's nothing other than that to drink," said Robinson.
The numbers are staggering, nearly 4000 kids die each day because they don't have access to clean water, but Robinson vows to change that, with help from some heavy hitters.
President Bill Clinton is on board, spreading the word about Robinson's latest initiative, called smoke alarm, which relies on Twitter and Facebook.
"He was apart of we are the world, this is like we are the digital world, it takes somebody like Smokey, who's got that historical anchor to take us to the future," said David Clark, with smokealarm.org.
At http://www.smokealarm.org/, Robinson sits side by side with some of his celebrity friends, who are a key part of this initiative.
Several times a year, he will reach out to them, asking them to let you know about a particular clean water project on his radar.
"The action is going to be simple and seemless so when you get this tweet or post, you will be immediately able to donate and the idea is, if you donate 10 dollars, you're going to make sure a child gets clean water for a year," adds Clark.
The final piece to this puzzle, as Robinson explains, proctor and gamble's water purification packets, which will be delivered to those commutes in need.
For this grandfather of 8, not helping kids was not an option.
"I'm an advocate for anything that's going to benefit them, they're our future," he adds.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos