Lifestyle & Fun
Video: Dog nurses abandoned kitten back to health
MINNESOTA (WABC) -- A dog has become mother to a stray kitten in the small town of Jordan, Minnesota.
The 4-year-old Pekingese, named Mittens, has adopted the tiny feline, and has even started producing milk.
Mittens' owner, Pat Weber, says the kitten was just days old when her grandson found her in the family's barn and brought her into their house in early September.
Weber says the 2-inch kitten was "ice cold," but moved in her palm. She wrapped the animal in a warm towel and it started meowing, which attracted Mittens.
The kitten, now named Bootsie, began suckling on Mittens.
Weber says her dog, which had a litter two years ago, has nursed Bootsie ever since.
"Mittens has been mothering this baby, as far as she is concerned it's hers," she said. "And as far as the kitten is concerned, this is her mother. Yes, this is her mother, every chance she gets she nurses on her and Mittens watches her, cleans her."
When she asked her vet about the milk, he told her that "hormones and strange and do funny things."
"I thought Oh my God, what a miracle," she said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- Massive forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 23 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
23 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos