Lifestyle & Fun
Video: Dog nurses abandoned kitten back to health
MINNESOTA (WABC) -- A dog has become mother to a stray kitten in the small town of Jordan, Minnesota.
The 4-year-old Pekingese, named Mittens, has adopted the tiny feline, and has even started producing milk.
Mittens' owner, Pat Weber, says the kitten was just days old when her grandson found her in the family's barn and brought her into their house in early September.
Weber says the 2-inch kitten was "ice cold," but moved in her palm. She wrapped the animal in a warm towel and it started meowing, which attracted Mittens.
The kitten, now named Bootsie, began suckling on Mittens.
Weber says her dog, which had a litter two years ago, has nursed Bootsie ever since.
"Mittens has been mothering this baby, as far as she is concerned it's hers," she said. "And as far as the kitten is concerned, this is her mother. Yes, this is her mother, every chance she gets she nurses on her and Mittens watches her, cleans her."
When she asked her vet about the milk, he told her that "hormones and strange and do funny things."
"I thought Oh my God, what a miracle," she said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- Police investiate possible bias attack on Broadway
- NYPD detective accused of hacking, spying on associates
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One 38 min ago
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Photos: Most Wanted: Yonkers Police Department