Lifestyle & Fun
Video: Dog nurses abandoned kitten back to health
MINNESOTA (WABC) -- A dog has become mother to a stray kitten in the small town of Jordan, Minnesota.
The 4-year-old Pekingese, named Mittens, has adopted the tiny feline, and has even started producing milk.
Mittens' owner, Pat Weber, says the kitten was just days old when her grandson found her in the family's barn and brought her into their house in early September.
Weber says the 2-inch kitten was "ice cold," but moved in her palm. She wrapped the animal in a warm towel and it started meowing, which attracted Mittens.
The kitten, now named Bootsie, began suckling on Mittens.
Weber says her dog, which had a litter two years ago, has nursed Bootsie ever since.
"Mittens has been mothering this baby, as far as she is concerned it's hers," she said. "And as far as the kitten is concerned, this is her mother. Yes, this is her mother, every chance she gets she nurses on her and Mittens watches her, cleans her."
When she asked her vet about the milk, he told her that "hormones and strange and do funny things."
"I thought Oh my God, what a miracle," she said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 21 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 53 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 25 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 14 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while...
33 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos