Lifestyle & Fun
More women paying alimony to ex-husbands
PARSIPPANY, N.J. (WABC) -- 48-year-old Janet Logan married her first husband when she was 22.
"We were kids, we didn't have much money or anything, a friend made my dress," Logan said. "We were still in college."
Neither finished college, but Logan soared up the corporate ladder in the retail industry, while her then-husband worked on and off in construction.
"The peak of my career, while I was married, was just about six figures," Logan said. "His peak was probably half of that."
So when she decided to get a divorce after 19 years of marriage, she was slapped with $1,500 a month alimony payments.
"We call it manimony, we call it malimony," said expert divorce attorney Bari Weinberger.
But under New Jersey law, its legal name is permanent alimony, according to the divorced attorney.
"Permanent alimony is often fixed when you have a long term marriage and a disparity of income between the two spouses," Weinberger explained.
"(There's not a part of you that's a little bit bitter that he didn't do enough financially?) That's not who I am," said Logan.
But unlike Logan, a lot of other woman are not as gracious learning that they will have to pay alimony.
"They are not having it. They think that there is no reason that if they are out and they are working and they are doing what they need to do, that their spouse can't be equally self-sufficient," Weinberger said.
Permanent or lifetime alimony can be amended if the higher wage earning spouse retires and makes less money, or if the former spouse who is receiving alimony gets remarried.
Logan said she has to pay her alimony for four more years.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
parsippany, new jersey, divorce, lifestyle & fun, darla miles
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 49 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 47 min ago
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 47 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 16 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
19 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
47 min ago