Lifestyle & Fun
2-legged dogs thriving, thanks to veterinarian
TEXAS (WABC) -- A veterinarian in Texas is giving two puppies a new chance at life.
Young and frisky, brothers Moose and Maverick like to play rough. Born with just one set of legs, the 6-month-old puppies are different, incredibly so. They can sit, stand and jump like few others.
"They don't see that they're different at all," Dr. Erin Schults said. "They absolutely have no problem with anything."
Abandoned at Dallas animal services when they were just a few hours old, they were rescued by Dr. Schults. But even she had her doubts that they could - or should - survive.
"I thought about euthanizing them," she said. "In my mind, I was prejudice in thinking they couldn't have a good quality of life. But my mind was changed very quickly."
Dr. Schults began designing ramps, encouraging the pups to stand on their back legs.
At the time, Dr. Schults was determined to teach them to walk like humans, but then she noticed something interesting - the dogs were developing their own way of getting around.
"I realized they kept reverting to their way that they moved," she said. "And they were more content that way."
Now, she says they are thriving. They even volunteer, spending time once a month at a daycare for homeless children.
"I think they teach the kids it's okay to be different," Dr. Shults said.
Dr. Schults has received adoption applications from as far away as New York, but her family's starting to get attached, so she's not sure just yet.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Disturbing details emerge about suspected Etan Patz killer 55 min ago
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013