Lifestyle & Fun
2-legged dogs thriving, thanks to veterinarian
TEXAS (WABC) -- A veterinarian in Texas is giving two puppies a new chance at life.
Young and frisky, brothers Moose and Maverick like to play rough. Born with just one set of legs, the 6-month-old puppies are different, incredibly so. They can sit, stand and jump like few others.
"They don't see that they're different at all," Dr. Erin Schults said. "They absolutely have no problem with anything."
Abandoned at Dallas animal services when they were just a few hours old, they were rescued by Dr. Schults. But even she had her doubts that they could - or should - survive.
"I thought about euthanizing them," she said. "In my mind, I was prejudice in thinking they couldn't have a good quality of life. But my mind was changed very quickly."
Dr. Schults began designing ramps, encouraging the pups to stand on their back legs.
At the time, Dr. Schults was determined to teach them to walk like humans, but then she noticed something interesting - the dogs were developing their own way of getting around.
"I realized they kept reverting to their way that they moved," she said. "And they were more content that way."
Now, she says they are thriving. They even volunteer, spending time once a month at a daycare for homeless children.
"I think they teach the kids it's okay to be different," Dr. Shults said.
Dr. Schults has received adoption applications from as far away as New York, but her family's starting to get attached, so she's not sure just yet.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 13 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks 54 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
13 min ago