Lifestyle & Fun
Queens of comedy
LONG ISLAND CITY (WABC) -- What's so funny in Queens these days? There's a neighborhood that has a lot of standup venues and comedy clubs opening.
"I think to live in Queens you need to have a sense of humor," Steve Hofstetter said.
He is just joking. It's actually what he does for a living. He is a comic and he's also the owner of Laughing Devil, a stand-up comedy club in Long Island City. His club is a sliver of a space that packs in the laughs.
As it turns out, there are quite a few comedy clubs in Queens. The Creek and The Cave was perhaps the first to offer stand up and comedy. Several bars and restaurants now offer open mic or comedy fueled trivia nights, and the opportunities to laugh are increasing.
Richard Mazda started a theatre group out of The Creek and The Cave before he opened the Secret Theater. He couldn't have afforded this space in Manhattan, but now he's getting the last laugh in Long Island City.
"This is one of the major cities and this area was under-developed. It was bound to happen. We're pleased to be part of it," Mazda said.
So make a night of it in Long Island City. The Laughing Devil has shows almost every night of the week, and has expanded to an off-site location. The Secret Theatre does improv every weekend.
For more information online:
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
queens, long island city, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- NJ Transit buses delayed 30 minutes
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river 16 min ago
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Tree trouble in Dumont
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs 46 min ago
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash....
16 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos