Lifestyle & Fun
Queens of comedy
LONG ISLAND CITY (WABC) -- What's so funny in Queens these days? There's a neighborhood that has a lot of standup venues and comedy clubs opening.
"I think to live in Queens you need to have a sense of humor," Steve Hofstetter said.
He is just joking. It's actually what he does for a living. He is a comic and he's also the owner of Laughing Devil, a stand-up comedy club in Long Island City. His club is a sliver of a space that packs in the laughs.
As it turns out, there are quite a few comedy clubs in Queens. The Creek and The Cave was perhaps the first to offer stand up and comedy. Several bars and restaurants now offer open mic or comedy fueled trivia nights, and the opportunities to laugh are increasing.
Richard Mazda started a theatre group out of The Creek and The Cave before he opened the Secret Theater. He couldn't have afforded this space in Manhattan, but now he's getting the last laugh in Long Island City.
"This is one of the major cities and this area was under-developed. It was bound to happen. We're pleased to be part of it," Mazda said.
So make a night of it in Long Island City. The Laughing Devil has shows almost every night of the week, and has expanded to an off-site location. The Secret Theatre does improv every weekend.
For more information online:
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
queens, long island city, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen