Lifestyle & Fun
Sweaty Saturday to fight childhood obesity
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Your favorite workout studios are ramping up their classes this Saturday to help fight childhood obesity.
"Sweaty Saturday is a day that's dedicated to all things fitness and wellness. We've decided to unite the boutique fitness industry all together to work out for a great cause," said Neda Talebian Funk of Fitist & Sweaty Saturday.
So jump on that bike at Flywheel, power through a session at SLT, or stretch a little longer at Pure Yoga.
Sweaty Saturday is when fitness studios team up to offer giveaways to you.
They are setting aside a portion of your class fee to this year's designated non-profit HealthCorps.
HealthCorps hires recent college graduates to mentor high school students about fitness and nutrition.
"We see amazing results, one example is a kid that weighed 450 pounds and by the time he got done with the program he had lost about 110, but was on a trajectory to continue to lose more," said Juan Brea, of HealthCorps.
HealthCorps started in 2004 and it's already educated hundreds of thousands of kids about obesity.
"We're very grateful to Sweaty Saturday. They called us, we were very happy to be selected by them as their inaugural beneficiary and we hope it continues every year because it is a wonderful idea," Brea said.
So for example, if you like to spin, there are lots of added incentives to pedal a little harder this Saturday at Flywheel.
"On Sweaty Saturday we'll be offering raffles, special prizes for our top board performers, special gifts for our guest, we'll have Pop Chips, we'll have VitaCoCo, a sundae bar from the Soft Serve Fruit Company, and some special guests, it's going to be a great day," said Jay Gulluzzo, of Flywheel.
"It's a great day to go out and studio hop and mix up your workouts while trying something new, and you can feel good that you are giving back while working out," Funk said.
For more information please visit: http://sweatysaturday.com/
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
childhood obesity, exercise, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 42 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
42 min ago