Lifestyle & Fun
Art project proposal under Gowanus Expressway
BROOKYN (WABC) -- Creators of a colorful art installation want to shine some light on a dark pedestrian walkway under the Gowanus Expressway in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
Hamilton avenue and the 9th street crossing under the Gowanus is one of the most congested and noisy throughoghfares in southwest Brooklyn. And that noise, is exactly what inspired some artists.
Residents hurry across the walkway to get to the other side.
But artists were inspired and the project, named Silent Lights consists of six gates. They would be built along the sidewalk to allow pedestrians to pass through. During the day, the perforated metal will allow natural light to shine thorough, and at night, LED lights will gently pulsate in a wave pattern, based on the intensity of the surrounding noise.
The gate stands 8 and a half feet high, ten feet wide and weighs 400 pounds. The project has already been approved by the Department of Transportation, the agency has even given some grant money for the project.
As for concerns about vandalism in this rough neighborhood, the metal is being treated in such a way that spray paint would simply wash off with water.
They've raised $25,000 and need another $25,000 to fully fund project.
They hope to install in March.
LINK: http://artistbuildcollaborative.com/donateb> <!--NOTHING BELOW HERE-->
<center>Get Eyewitness News Delivered</center>
lifestyle & fun, lisa colagrossi
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
12 min ago