Lifestyle & Fun
Softball sized eyeball could be from swordfish
MIAMI -- State experts say a giant eyeball that washed up on a Florida beach last week likely came from a swordfish.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said Monday they based their conclusion on the eyeball's color, size and structure, along with the presence of bone around it. Genetic testing will be done to confirm the identification.
Wildlife officials say swordfish are commonly fished at this time of year in the Florida Straits offshore of South Florida. That's where the softball-sized eyeball turned up Wednesday.
The discovery and photos of the big eye created a buzz on the Internet.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 19 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 19 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit delays due to problems on Portal Bridge
- Snow coming down in New York City 35 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 51 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service 7 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City
35 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos