Lifestyle & Fun
North Carolina dog calls 911 to save injured owner
NORTH CAROLINA (WABC) -- A dependable dog in North Carolina dialed 911 for when her owner fell and couldn't get up.
Spirit is half Golden Retriever and 100 percent hero.
Dorothy Davidson has had the pooch since she was just a puppy.
Her loyal companion follows everywhere, even picking things up for her.
When Dorothy fell in the bathroom, Spirit did what she was trained to do, calling for help with a special phone that features a big white button to alert authorities.
"I sent her in to tap help," Davidson said. "She activated the phone I have for her."
Dorothy leans on Spirit for both help and companionship. She suffers from primary lateral sclerosis, which is in the same family of disorders as Lou Gehrig's Disease, but isn't fatal.
The Florida-based group Dogs for Life trained Spirit how to use the phone.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- Actor James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" dies 12 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning 31 min ago
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx 33 min ago
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease
- Body found near home of Pats' Aaron Hernandez was homicide victim 21 min ago
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos