Lifestyle & Fun
North Carolina dog calls 911 to save injured owner
NORTH CAROLINA (WABC) -- A dependable dog in North Carolina dialed 911 for when her owner fell and couldn't get up.
Spirit is half Golden Retriever and 100 percent hero.
Dorothy Davidson has had the pooch since she was just a puppy.
Her loyal companion follows everywhere, even picking things up for her.
When Dorothy fell in the bathroom, Spirit did what she was trained to do, calling for help with a special phone that features a big white button to alert authorities.
"I sent her in to tap help," Davidson said. "She activated the phone I have for her."
Dorothy leans on Spirit for both help and companionship. She suffers from primary lateral sclerosis, which is in the same family of disorders as Lou Gehrig's Disease, but isn't fatal.
The Florida-based group Dogs for Life trained Spirit how to use the phone.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- 4 arrested in deadly mall carjacking 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
4 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos