Lifestyle & Fun
North Carolina dog calls 911 to save injured owner
NORTH CAROLINA (WABC) -- A dependable dog in North Carolina dialed 911 for when her owner fell and couldn't get up.
Spirit is half Golden Retriever and 100 percent hero.
Dorothy Davidson has had the pooch since she was just a puppy.
Her loyal companion follows everywhere, even picking things up for her.
When Dorothy fell in the bathroom, Spirit did what she was trained to do, calling for help with a special phone that features a big white button to alert authorities.
"I sent her in to tap help," Davidson said. "She activated the phone I have for her."
Dorothy leans on Spirit for both help and companionship. She suffers from primary lateral sclerosis, which is in the same family of disorders as Lou Gehrig's Disease, but isn't fatal.
The Florida-based group Dogs for Life trained Spirit how to use the phone.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos