Lifestyle & Fun
North Carolina dog calls 911 to save injured owner
NORTH CAROLINA (WABC) -- A dependable dog in North Carolina dialed 911 for when her owner fell and couldn't get up.
Spirit is half Golden Retriever and 100 percent hero.
Dorothy Davidson has had the pooch since she was just a puppy.
Her loyal companion follows everywhere, even picking things up for her.
When Dorothy fell in the bathroom, Spirit did what she was trained to do, calling for help with a special phone that features a big white button to alert authorities.
"I sent her in to tap help," Davidson said. "She activated the phone I have for her."
Dorothy leans on Spirit for both help and companionship. She suffers from primary lateral sclerosis, which is in the same family of disorders as Lou Gehrig's Disease, but isn't fatal.
The Florida-based group Dogs for Life trained Spirit how to use the phone.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 4 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos