Lifestyle & Fun
Video: Koala found clinging to tree in fire rescued
AUSTRALIA (WABC) -- Fire crews in southern Australia have contained a massive wildfire in the coastal town of Port Lincoln, and a koala found clinging to a charred tree has become a symbol of hope.
The koala was injured in a bushfire and was found with burnt paws and singed fur.
A passerby saw the little bear and and offered it some water.
It was obviously thirsty and drank right from the Good Samaritan's hand.
Fire officials say it's amazing that no one died in the blaze, but it took a large toll on wildlife.
Dozens of buildings, including a home and vacation cabins, have been destroyed.
The flames have also destroyed thousands of acres.
Port Lincoln is about 200 miles outside the capital city of Adelaide.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 8 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring
8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
2 min ago