Lifestyle & Fun
'Miss Subways' remembered in new book
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There was a reunion from New York City's cultural past; a group of women who all once shared the same title.
"Miss Subways" is a competition that was held for more than three decades and ended in the 70s, but the memories remain.
"We were considered the beauties of the subways," said Ellen Hart, a Miss Subways lady.
There's nothing really glamorous about the subways, but in 1941, the Miss Subways campaign sought to change that, putting fresh faced ladies on signs throughout the system like Ellen Hart.
"It all worked out, they picked me and I took it from there," Hart said.
Among the things she's done; opened her namesake diner in Times Square where periodically she gathers former Miss Subways and Tuesday they're celebrating a new book: Meet Miss Subways, which captures them then and now.
Mary Gardiner Timoney performed at Radio City, on TV and she had a long modeling career. The subway started things off.
Enid Berkowitz Schwartzbaum is 86 now and a long time artist.
The Transit Museum in Brooklyn is also celebrating these lovely ladies with an exhibition that runs through March.
It takes a look back at when pin ups were in Vogue and subways were luxurious.
For the ladies now, and for many, the experience was invaluable.
Meanwhile, the Miss Subways are hoping to raise money to buy MetroCards for riders affected by Hurricane Sandy. It's their way of paying tribute to the subways and this city.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
subway, books, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos