Lifestyle & Fun
'Miss Subways' remembered in new book
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There was a reunion from New York City's cultural past; a group of women who all once shared the same title.
"Miss Subways" is a competition that was held for more than three decades and ended in the 70s, but the memories remain.
"We were considered the beauties of the subways," said Ellen Hart, a Miss Subways lady.
There's nothing really glamorous about the subways, but in 1941, the Miss Subways campaign sought to change that, putting fresh faced ladies on signs throughout the system like Ellen Hart.
"It all worked out, they picked me and I took it from there," Hart said.
Among the things she's done; opened her namesake diner in Times Square where periodically she gathers former Miss Subways and Tuesday they're celebrating a new book: Meet Miss Subways, which captures them then and now.
Mary Gardiner Timoney performed at Radio City, on TV and she had a long modeling career. The subway started things off.
Enid Berkowitz Schwartzbaum is 86 now and a long time artist.
The Transit Museum in Brooklyn is also celebrating these lovely ladies with an exhibition that runs through March.
It takes a look back at when pin ups were in Vogue and subways were luxurious.
For the ladies now, and for many, the experience was invaluable.
Meanwhile, the Miss Subways are hoping to raise money to buy MetroCards for riders affected by Hurricane Sandy. It's their way of paying tribute to the subways and this city.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
subway, books, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
3 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos