Lifestyle & Fun
'Miss Subways' remembered in new book
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There was a reunion from New York City's cultural past; a group of women who all once shared the same title.
"Miss Subways" is a competition that was held for more than three decades and ended in the 70s, but the memories remain.
"We were considered the beauties of the subways," said Ellen Hart, a Miss Subways lady.
There's nothing really glamorous about the subways, but in 1941, the Miss Subways campaign sought to change that, putting fresh faced ladies on signs throughout the system like Ellen Hart.
"It all worked out, they picked me and I took it from there," Hart said.
Among the things she's done; opened her namesake diner in Times Square where periodically she gathers former Miss Subways and Tuesday they're celebrating a new book: Meet Miss Subways, which captures them then and now.
Mary Gardiner Timoney performed at Radio City, on TV and she had a long modeling career. The subway started things off.
Enid Berkowitz Schwartzbaum is 86 now and a long time artist.
The Transit Museum in Brooklyn is also celebrating these lovely ladies with an exhibition that runs through March.
It takes a look back at when pin ups were in Vogue and subways were luxurious.
For the ladies now, and for many, the experience was invaluable.
Meanwhile, the Miss Subways are hoping to raise money to buy MetroCards for riders affected by Hurricane Sandy. It's their way of paying tribute to the subways and this city.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
subway, books, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 23 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 56 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss 33 min ago
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 27 min ago
- Motorists line up at gas stations, prepare...
56 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos