Lifestyle & Fun
Creativity at the Museum of Mathematics
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Museum of Mathematics is opening in Manhattan this weekend.
"Our target customer: You think you hate math come and see it the way we see it," said Glen Whitney of the National Museum of Mathematics.
Glen Whitney is hoping to get you excited about math.
This weekend the one time mathematician opens the Museum of Mathematics.
There are 19,000 square feet devoted to math, but you won't see a lot of one thing.
"We have very few numbers in the museum," Whitney said.
So instead of numbers expect a hands on experience.
The mathenaeum allows you to manipulate shapes; the human tree allows you to replicate the trunk, branches with a multiplying effect.
The wall of fire illuminates cross sections of shapes with lasers.
You can even test out Galileo's theory about what make a track fast.
Cameras are used to create fractals, sort of like a larger than life kaleidoscope that shows how math takes team work.
"It's not just about sitting alone in a room, here we have to work together to create these great images," Whitney said.
Learn about hyperboloids by making straight cords appear to bend.
They hope to get people excited about math and show its creativity.
For more information please visit: http://momath.org/
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
manhattan, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 9 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Who is Bill Bratton? 34 min ago
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner 36 min ago
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video 20 min ago
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos