Lifestyle & Fun
A primal workout
UPPER WEST SIDE (WABC) -- It definitely is not your traditional workout. It's rather a beastly kind.
Leading this pack of animals is Kira Stokes, the creator of Stoked Primal.
During this 30 minute workout you mimic the moves of animals like a frog.
Others have copied the class at Reebok Sports Club, but this is the original.
"Crawling is not just about crawling, it's about engaging your back, your shoulders, your triceps," Stokes said. "It's kind of stripping fitness down to the bare bones. They're not traditional movements that you would do with your body so you sort of wake up this muscles in a sense."
You use only your body weight as a tool, pushing and pulling it in all directions.
"You get the body moving in all directions, thins will shift, fat will shift calories will be burned and your body just gets stronger and leaner," Stokes said.
Kira's Stoked series includes 8 classes of fitness routines that challenge every muscle in your body.
You can burn around 350 calories, and that's in just 30 minutes. The Komodo Dragon does the trick and the alligator is mind-boggling, but at first you should take baby steps, which eventually turn into ones that look like a black cat.
"Maybe you only made it halfway across the room during the first week and you knew you got 3/4's of the way the second week, so to see that progress, it keeps people coming back and keeps them committed," Stokes said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
fitness, lifestyle & fun, kemberly richardson
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos