Lifestyle & Fun
Artisanal donuts offer sophisticated comfort
NEW YORK (WABC) -- We've seen the spread of decadent cupcake shops and frozen yogurt stores, but the next sweet treat being taken to a new level is donuts!
You'd be hard pressed to find a person who doesn't like a donut, but we're talking about artisanal donuts that offer sophisticated comfort.
"I wanted to do something with donuts that had never been done before," said Mark Israel, of Doughnut Plant.
What Mark Israel did was come up with crazy flavors for his doughy creations.
He started making them in 1994 with his grandfather's eggless recipe and the Doughnut Plant has been around ever since.
"Our signature donut is the crème Brule donut," Israel said.
There's vanilla bean custard inside and torched sugar on top.
There's rose carrot cake with cream cheese filling and peanut butter and jelly with both homemade peanut butter and jelly. The fruit comes from the green market.
It's an original idea that recently has inspired a rise in the donut business.
In Bedford-Stuyvesant at Dough, they're selling more donuts than ever, since they opened about three years ago.
There's blood orange with candied orange slice, red velvet, and you'll want to check out the lemon meringue.
It's a profound donut with a flavor for any palette.
At the General, donuts are sold every morning at the counter.
If the sign doesn't draw you in, maybe the flavors will.
Coco Puffs, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and fruity pebbles are on the outside while the inside is a cream that tastes like fruity pebble flavored milk.
Yes, some donuts maybe better for dessert which is the beauty of the modern day delights; with so many flavors they're so versatile.
The donuts cost $2.25 at Dough and as much as $4 at the General.
By the way the Doughnut Plant even has stores throughout Asia.
305 Franklin Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11205
199 Bowery St.
New York, NY 10002
The Doughnut Plant
new york city, food, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
24 min ago