Lifestyle & Fun
Artisanal donuts offer sophisticated comfort
NEW YORK (WABC) -- We've seen the spread of decadent cupcake shops and frozen yogurt stores, but the next sweet treat being taken to a new level is donuts!
You'd be hard pressed to find a person who doesn't like a donut, but we're talking about artisanal donuts that offer sophisticated comfort.
"I wanted to do something with donuts that had never been done before," said Mark Israel, of Doughnut Plant.
What Mark Israel did was come up with crazy flavors for his doughy creations.
He started making them in 1994 with his grandfather's eggless recipe and the Doughnut Plant has been around ever since.
"Our signature donut is the crème Brule donut," Israel said.
There's vanilla bean custard inside and torched sugar on top.
There's rose carrot cake with cream cheese filling and peanut butter and jelly with both homemade peanut butter and jelly. The fruit comes from the green market.
It's an original idea that recently has inspired a rise in the donut business.
In Bedford-Stuyvesant at Dough, they're selling more donuts than ever, since they opened about three years ago.
There's blood orange with candied orange slice, red velvet, and you'll want to check out the lemon meringue.
It's a profound donut with a flavor for any palette.
At the General, donuts are sold every morning at the counter.
If the sign doesn't draw you in, maybe the flavors will.
Coco Puffs, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and fruity pebbles are on the outside while the inside is a cream that tastes like fruity pebble flavored milk.
Yes, some donuts maybe better for dessert which is the beauty of the modern day delights; with so many flavors they're so versatile.
The donuts cost $2.25 at Dough and as much as $4 at the General.
By the way the Doughnut Plant even has stores throughout Asia.
305 Franklin Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11205
199 Bowery St.
New York, NY 10002
The Doughnut Plant
new york city, food, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged 58 min ago
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China 27 min ago
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 37 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing 51 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
1 min ago
- Third grader hit and killed by truck,...
58 min ago