Lifestyle & Fun
Punk fashion celebrated at the Met
NEW YORK (WABC) -- While punk may have been anti-fashion, a new exhibition shows that punk actually has had a huge impact on clothes.
About 100 mannequins dressed the part at the Met's Costume Institute.
There's even a replica of a London boutique that sold such looks. It's a real tribute to the punk movement.
Self-expression has always been important in fashion, and for fashion designers. Zandra Rhodes, for example, remembers creating two dresses in the 70s.
"Really, I'm in my workroom thinking we've done printed dresses," Rhodes said.
It suited her mood then, as did holes and metal chains; staples and safety pins in lieu of thread. Who could forget the couture version of the safety pin dress, worn by Elizabeth Hurley.
PUNK: Chaos to Couture will examine punk's impact on high fashion from the movement's birth in the early 1970s through its continuing influence today. Themes will include New York and London, which will tell punk's origin story as a tale of two cities.
The exhibition opens on Thursday, May 9 at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
To learn more, click here to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art's website.
fashion, metropolitan museum of art, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 17 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
42 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos