Lifestyle & Fun
Personal chef of NBA star teaches culinary course to kids
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Some students in Harlem have been treated to more than just math, science and literature.
They're also taking cooking lessons. And their teacher is the personal chef to a big New York sports star.
Seniors that are part of the Charter School culinary team head to the city cookhouse in Harlem on Wednesdays.
Their teacher is chef Max Hardy who also learned to cook when he was in high school.
He can relate to these kids.
"Basketball was a great thing for me I thought I'd make it to the NBA. It didn't happen so I thought I'd find something else to take my time so culinary arts was it," he said.
Now his main job is as personal chef to New York Knicks star Amare Stoudemire.
Teaching on Wednesday mornings is Chef Max's way of giving back. And the students are appreciative.
lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's in Nassau County 1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack 10 min ago
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- UPS facility fire damages packages on Long Island
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- USA to open against Ghana in '14 World Cup