Lifestyle & Fun
Single mother's cookbook brings importance to family meals
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Jennie Perillo is the food editor at Working Mother Magazine. She is a working mother herself, and cooking is not just a joy, it is a necessity.
"It centers me, it connects me, it reminds me I have control in my kitchen," says Perillo.
When Perillo's husband, Mikey died suddenly less than two years ago, her Brooklyn kitchen, and the food she created became even more important.
"Cooking specifically offers me control in my life, which I essentially lost 20 months ago," adds Perillo, "It reminds me there are a lot of variables that are out of my hands, but I have control in my house, I have control in my kitchen."
Perillo has created more than 125 recipes for her cookbook, "Homemade with Love", which is designed for home cooks. She knows her husband would have been incredibly proud of her book, and how she has preserved and continued with her family meals.
Family meals have provided a new perspective for a 39-year-old single mom, who knows what home cooking can do.
"If people get in the kitchen more, and are given the technique, it is like a bug - you'll want to do it more and more," says Perillo.
"Homemade with Love" is available online and in bookstores, and features many dishes kids will love.
cooking, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos