Lifestyle & Fun
Single mother's cookbook brings importance to family meals
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Jennie Perillo is the food editor at Working Mother Magazine. She is a working mother herself, and cooking is not just a joy, it is a necessity.
"It centers me, it connects me, it reminds me I have control in my kitchen," says Perillo.
When Perillo's husband, Mikey died suddenly less than two years ago, her Brooklyn kitchen, and the food she created became even more important.
"Cooking specifically offers me control in my life, which I essentially lost 20 months ago," adds Perillo, "It reminds me there are a lot of variables that are out of my hands, but I have control in my house, I have control in my kitchen."
Perillo has created more than 125 recipes for her cookbook, "Homemade with Love", which is designed for home cooks. She knows her husband would have been incredibly proud of her book, and how she has preserved and continued with her family meals.
Family meals have provided a new perspective for a 39-year-old single mom, who knows what home cooking can do.
"If people get in the kitchen more, and are given the technique, it is like a bug - you'll want to do it more and more," says Perillo.
"Homemade with Love" is available online and in bookstores, and features many dishes kids will love.
cooking, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen