Lifestyle & Fun
92-year-old fitness instructor still going strong
MORRISTOWN, N.J. (WABC) -- Inside the Morristown Town Hall they're moving, stretching, and sweating it out with Irene Phelan.
She's a gym teacher who always wears a dress and leads four classes a week for seniors.
"You know what, there's a need for it and I'm glad I can contribute," Phelan said.
Well, Irene's done more than contribute. She's been teaching fitness classes for seniors in Morristown since 1970.
She has the background for it with a degree in physical education.
After her eighth child headed off to elementary school, she began teaching gym at that school and did so for 40 years, until she retired at 90.
All the while she taught these classes and she's got a following.
"1992 I started and I think I'm the oldest one, except for her," an exerciser said.
"If you're feeling down, she'll always lift you up, it's my second year coming here, and I've enjoyed every moment of it," another participant said.
"If you keep busy you are going to keep going and you just feed off of each other," another woman said.
"They're my inspiration. They really are when they respond the way they do, as you can see," Phelan said.
They participants respond to the music, old songs from Irene's record collection.
They are songs that take them back to a time before they were even born. "I'm older than, well I'm older than all of them so," Phelan said.
Indeed. Irene turns 93 on Thursday!
"She is making a difference, and that's what I think everyone wants in their life to make a difference," an exerciser said.
She plans to continue doing so.
"I get such a great response, even if I wanted to stop, I couldn't," Phelan said.
exercise, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 37 min ago
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse 37 min ago
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth 58 min ago
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
37 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam,...
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
31 min ago
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof...
37 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos