Lifestyle & Fun
Try Harlem's best food & drink at Summer Sizzles
HARLEM (WABC) -- There is a great way to sample some of the best food and drink in Harlem.
There is going to be a restaurant crawl which takes you along one of the most historic avenues in the world.
This is a chance to experience what has really become an international culinary corridor in Harlem.
Lenox Avenue is known for its wide sidewalks, perfect for outdoor eating, and that's just what will be going on Tuesday night.
"This is just one more thing that we're doing to show Harlem is alive and kicking and lots of fun," said Marcus Samuelsson, owner of Red Rooster.
Right in the middle of it all is Lenox Avenue, which for decades was the place you went to feel the pulse of Harlem. Well guess what, it still is.
"I find Lenox Avenue to be one of the most beautiful avenues in New York City," said Nino Settepani, a restaurant owner.
It's where Nino and his wife Leah run their family business, Ristorante Settepani.
It's one of nearly a dozen eateries along this historic avenue that's taking part in Summer Sizzles, a sidewalk café crawl from 118th Street all the way to 128th.
Nino and his daughter were busy in the kitchen preparing one of three dishes that they'll offer.
The creative drinks options will wait until Tuesday.
This is the first time this unique tasting event has been held on Lenox Avenue.
The cuisine here is an international as the people are here, so participating in the event we have a Senegalese restaurant, a French restaurant, Italian," said Angie Hancock, the Summer Sizzles organizer.
And Red Rooster is a fixture in Harlem.
Owner Marcus Samuelsson tells Eyewitness News they'll whip up deviled eggs and uptown wings. He says this event really goes beyond food and straight to the heart of what this area is about.
"Both new and old can really live together and can come together as a community," Samuelsson said.
So this is how it all works; a $10 wrist band will give you access to all of this and then each dish on the special menus in the restaurants will only cost between $5 and $10.
"Please come join us it's going to be a great, great night," said Nikoa Evans, the event organizer.
Summer Sizzles is the first in a series of events that will highlight Lenox Avenue, from the jazz scene, to the historic churches and parks.
This café crawl kicks off Tuesday evening at 6, there is a special running right now until midnight, you can buy two wrist bands for $10.
For more information please visit: http://summersizzles.eventbrite.com
harlem, food, lifestyle & fun, kemberly richardson
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 17 min ago
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309M for Tuesday drawing
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom 39 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
17 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos