Lifestyle & Fun
Ugliest dog contest held in California
PETALUMA, Calif. (WABC) -- A huge-headed, duck-footed mix of beagle, boxer and basset hound was the upset winner at the 25th annual World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
Walle ((WAHL-ee), a 4-year-old mutt from Chico, Calif., who entered at the last minute, was judged most unsightly of 30 dogs at Friday's Northern California competition. It's been dominated in recent years by nearly hairless Chihuahuas, Chinese cresteds, or combinations of the two.
Judges said they were especially impressed by Walle's bizarre waddle of a walk.
Walle wins $1,500 and will make several network TV appearances next week.
The contest at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds gets worldwide attention, with media from around the world traveling to Petaluma, about 40 miles north of San Francisco.
Organizers say the dogs are judged for their "natural ugliness in both pedigree and mutt classes."
lifestyle & fun
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos