Lifestyle & Fun
Ugliest dog contest held in California
PETALUMA, Calif. (WABC) -- A huge-headed, duck-footed mix of beagle, boxer and basset hound was the upset winner at the 25th annual World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
Walle ((WAHL-ee), a 4-year-old mutt from Chico, Calif., who entered at the last minute, was judged most unsightly of 30 dogs at Friday's Northern California competition. It's been dominated in recent years by nearly hairless Chihuahuas, Chinese cresteds, or combinations of the two.
Judges said they were especially impressed by Walle's bizarre waddle of a walk.
Walle wins $1,500 and will make several network TV appearances next week.
The contest at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds gets worldwide attention, with media from around the world traveling to Petaluma, about 40 miles north of San Francisco.
Organizers say the dogs are judged for their "natural ugliness in both pedigree and mutt classes."
lifestyle & fun
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 45 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania 59 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard 53 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in...
59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
45 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
53 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos