Lifestyle & Fun
Ugliest dog contest held in California
PETALUMA, Calif. (WABC) -- A huge-headed, duck-footed mix of beagle, boxer and basset hound was the upset winner at the 25th annual World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
Walle ((WAHL-ee), a 4-year-old mutt from Chico, Calif., who entered at the last minute, was judged most unsightly of 30 dogs at Friday's Northern California competition. It's been dominated in recent years by nearly hairless Chihuahuas, Chinese cresteds, or combinations of the two.
Judges said they were especially impressed by Walle's bizarre waddle of a walk.
Walle wins $1,500 and will make several network TV appearances next week.
The contest at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds gets worldwide attention, with media from around the world traveling to Petaluma, about 40 miles north of San Francisco.
Organizers say the dogs are judged for their "natural ugliness in both pedigree and mutt classes."
lifestyle & fun
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees