Lifestyle & Fun
Video: Baby rhino on display at Alabama zoo
MONTGOMERY (WABC) -- The first baby rhinoceros to be born through artificial insemination is now on display at the zoo in Montgomery, Alabama.
And that's not the only thing special about him.
Ethan, born earlier this month, is named after the Alabama boy rescued after being held hostage in a bunker in February.
And even though he's less than a month old, Ethan the rhino already weighs about 90 pounds.
His mom, 12-year-old Jeta, was inseminated back in February of 2012.
There are less than 3,000 Indian rhinos remaining in the wild. Zoologists hope successful breeding will help sustain the population.
lifestyle & fun
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 45 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 52 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Geno Smith leads Jets to victory over Raiders
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG 38 min ago
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos