Lifestyle & Fun
Bert and Ernie cuddle on New Yorker cover about gay marriage
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The cover of the upcoming New Yorker magazine is stirring up some controversy Friday.
It highlights the Supreme Court's rulings on same-sex marriage earlier this week, with Sesame Street's Bert and Ernie cuddling as they watch a TV with the justices on the screen.
The New Yorker's website says the artist originally put the image on the social media site Tumblr.
Sesame Street did not respond to the New Yorker cover.
In the past, the organization has issued statements regarding the question of Ernie and Bert and sexuality.
Producers have said that puppets do not have a sexual orientation, and that Bert and Ernie were designed to teach their audience of 2- to 4-year-olds that people can be friends even when they are very different from one another.
Sesame Street says they have nothing to do with the cover photo and have no comment on it.
Some say lets keep it that way, but some people say just let them get married on the show.
"It's amazing to witness how attitudes on gay rights have evolved in my lifetime," said Jack Hunter, the artist of the photo.
supreme court, same sex marriage, lifestyle & fun
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players 4 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case 8 min ago
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 15 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos