Lifestyle & Fun
Grove Alley Place comes alive with 'Nite Market'
DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN (WABC) -- You've seen malls in suburbia, you've seen them in city centers, but how about a mall in an alleyway?
That's the reality in Downtown Brooklyn on Grove Alley Place between Fulton and Livingston Streets.
In Downtown Brooklyn, there is foot traffic where graffiti and decay once scared people away.
"For a long time this was really disgusting trash strewn parking," said Katie Lyon, Downtown Brooklyn Partnership.
On this night, vendors who are selling food and even underwear have crowded into what you might call an urban open air mall.
One that just developed organically in a place a lot of long time residents never really appreciated.
"I've been coming here for years," Eddie McGee, a Brooklyn resident said.
What the organizers of this event hope he and others found out is that even a place like this, with walls covered in graffiti, has potential.
It's a street an alleyway, but the organizers say they see it as a place to do business.
"Our longtime vision for this place is that it could be a retail corridor in its own right," Lyon said.
It's a way to encourage more nights like this and fewer businesses closing early.
"We did a lot over the last six months to clean it up. This is an event to showcase it to the public," Lyon said.
It's an alleyway in Brooklyn located at the intersection of the past and what some hope is the future of business.
For more information on the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership please visit: http://downtownbrooklyn.com/
shopping, brooklyn, lifestyle & fun, jeff pegues
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 46 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos