Lifestyle & Fun
A look at summer ice cream treats
NEW YORK (WABC) -- When Ann Yu serves up plenty of regular ice cream out of her truck called "Itizy", the pops in flavors like s'mores may give you just what you need to cool off. The pops are like lollipops, but there is ice cream beneath the candy shell.
"It's probably two or three bites for adults, and for kids it lasts a little bit," says Yu.
There are also colorful ice cream sandwiches. The cookie is replaced with a French macaron.
At his pastry shops throughout the city, Francois Payard serves the unique sandwiches. Some feature a swirl of ice cream and sorbet like pistachio raspberry.
"Americans are always known for sandwiches and the French for macaron, it's a merging of the two of the best, the French and American side," says Payard.
Another European import looks like soft serve ice cream, but it is really yogurt that is made with two percent all-natural milk, so there are no added hormones and antibiotics.
Yogorino is Italian frozen yogurt, and not as tart as many frozen yogurt offerings these days. The decadent hot toppings like pistachio and chocolate sauce are imported from Italy as well. Of course you can forgo toppings, because the yogurt speaks for itself.
On a hot day, something as simple as a sno cone can do the trick. Dan Levin grew up eating sno cones.
"For me it's about nostalgia, where I grew up, they had sno cones," says Levin.
However Levin's version at Handsome Dan's stand in Williamsburg is a little more elevated thanks to flavors like earl grey tea with condensed milk.
"We make our own syrups, they're more adult, but the kids like it as well," Levin adds.
More on the frozen treats:
lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 53 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos