Lifestyle & Fun
A look at summer ice cream treats
NEW YORK (WABC) -- When Ann Yu serves up plenty of regular ice cream out of her truck called "Itizy", the pops in flavors like s'mores may give you just what you need to cool off. The pops are like lollipops, but there is ice cream beneath the candy shell.
"It's probably two or three bites for adults, and for kids it lasts a little bit," says Yu.
There are also colorful ice cream sandwiches. The cookie is replaced with a French macaron.
At his pastry shops throughout the city, Francois Payard serves the unique sandwiches. Some feature a swirl of ice cream and sorbet like pistachio raspberry.
"Americans are always known for sandwiches and the French for macaron, it's a merging of the two of the best, the French and American side," says Payard.
Another European import looks like soft serve ice cream, but it is really yogurt that is made with two percent all-natural milk, so there are no added hormones and antibiotics.
Yogorino is Italian frozen yogurt, and not as tart as many frozen yogurt offerings these days. The decadent hot toppings like pistachio and chocolate sauce are imported from Italy as well. Of course you can forgo toppings, because the yogurt speaks for itself.
On a hot day, something as simple as a sno cone can do the trick. Dan Levin grew up eating sno cones.
"For me it's about nostalgia, where I grew up, they had sno cones," says Levin.
However Levin's version at Handsome Dan's stand in Williamsburg is a little more elevated thanks to flavors like earl grey tea with condensed milk.
"We make our own syrups, they're more adult, but the kids like it as well," Levin adds.
More on the frozen treats:
lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 17 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident