Lifestyle & Fun
How to protect your skin with SPF makeup
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's important to protect your skin when you are outside under the sun.
A lot of makeup comes with SPF, but that can be irritating to sensitive skin.
So how can you protect yourself?
Right now it's a must and when it comes to sunscreen.
Most people are no longer in the dark, and know what to wear and when, but now there's protection in makeup.
That's where things get cloudy.
Part of the reason, is that new FDA rules require any SPF claiming "board spectrum protection", cover both UVA and UVB rays.
"You are blocking more of the rays of the sun, blocking the burning rays and the tanning rays," said Dr. David Colbert, New York Dermatology Group.
For many companies, including Cover FX, the change meant reformulating their products.
Experts say now there are basically two ways to get the protection you need when it comes to make up.
Option one is protection primer, SPF 30.
With this layering approach, you first apply the primer, then put on whatever kind of foundation you want, even power, which Dr. Colbert stresses on its own, is not enough.
"Powders are to randomly dispersed on the skin to actually block the sun," Dr. Colbert said.
Option two is a single step process using something like total cover cream foundation which is packed full of SPF 30, and in this case, no primer is needed.
"I have my sunscreen, have my coverage where I want it, it goes on light, nice texture, you don't feel like you're wearing anything, it's like virtual skin," said Jessica Petersen, of Cover FX.
lifestyle & fun, kemberly richardson
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns 54 min ago
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing 36 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos