Lifestyle & Fun
Virtual tour: World's tallest drop ride coming to Six Flags Great Adventure
JACKSON (WABC) -- New Jersey's Six Flags Great Adventure will shatter the world record for tallest drop ride with the addition of the 41-story Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom in 2014.
Connected to the iconic Kingda Ka roller coaster, the 456-foot monster that ranks as the world's tallest coaster and fastest in North America, Zumanjaro will hoist riders 415 feet into the sky and rocket them back to Earth at 90 miles per hour while Kingda Ka trains launch right toward them at speeds of up to 128 miles per hour.
"Zumanjaro solidifies Six Flags Great Adventure's dominance as the Northeast's thrill capital," park president John Fitzgerald said. "This is precisely the world-class, record-breaking attraction our guests have come to expect from Great Adventure. Zumanjaro is destined to top many must-ride lists in 2014."
Three soaring Zumanjaro towers will be built on the face of the massive Kingda Ka coaster debuting during the park's 41st season. Each drop tower will feature a gondola with eight riders.
The gondolas will rise to the top of the tower in approximately 30 seconds. Riders will pause for a few terrifying moments, 41 stories in the air, even higher than London's Big Ben and twice as high as the Statue of Liberty, allowing them to catch a glimpse of the skyscrapers in Philadelphia 52 miles to the south before gravity plunges them back to ground level in less than 10 seconds.
Park officials also announced that the introduction of Zumanjaro spells the end of an era for one of the park's classic roller coasters, Rolling Thunder. The coaster, which opened in 1979, has delivered more than 42 million rides in its nearly 35-year history.
new jersey, lifestyle & fun
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
26 min ago