Lifestyle & Fun
Teen gets 'Make a Wish' fashion show
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A young girl is getting her wish granted by "Make a Wish" and will see her designs hit the runway at Fashion Week.
This is a good week for Katherine Gil.
She turned 14, started high school, and is showing her designs in fashion week.
It's pretty remarkable considering she's just finished chemotherapy for leukemia at Montefiore Hospital.
Dressing up in the hospital helped pass the time.
"Yeah it made me feel pretty even though I didn't have my hair, it still made me feel good," Gil said.
When "Make a Wish" in metro New York offered Katherine a chance to have a wish granted, she wished to be a fashion designer.
"I'd have my mom buy me lots of clothes when I was in the hospital, and every day when I got bored I'd change out of my PJs and wear something nice," Gil said.
Meanwhile, the designer Danilo Gabrielli had just approached "Make a Wish" offering to help someone's design dreams come true.
The timing was perfect, and Danilo headed to the hospital to meet Katherine.
"She took me by surprise, she's very good," Gabrielli said.
So good, he decided he wouldn't just bring her designs to life; he's including them in his runway show Wednesday night.
Model Ashley Vasicek will wear two of Katherine's designs, including a blue sequin dress.
"I think I had tears in my eyes when they told me that seeing the light she brings every day, and she's just been an inspiration to me," Vasicek said.
And Danilo is thrilled to be giving back and giving a teenager from the Bronx a star turn.
"I know where she's sitting and I'm going to grab her and take her with me on the stage for her to experience this amazing wish that come true," Gabrielli said.
The show begins at 9:30 p.m. and is part of Nolcha Fashion Week at Pier 59 in Manhattan.
Katherine's wish is the 10,000th wish granted by the local "Make a Wish" foundation.
fashion, fashion week, cancer, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Suspense builds for season finale of 'Scandal'