Lifestyle & Fun
Leukemia patient with Down's voted homecoming queen in Kentucky
KENTUCKY (WABC) -- A community in Kentucky says its new homecoming queen is an inspiration.
Twenty-year-old Brittany Depew has Down's syndrome and is battling leukemia for the second time.
Her friends say through it all, she lives "high on life" and has a positive attitude.
The entire community was out at a parade Saturday supporting Brittany as she competed for homecoming queen.
Her family is overwhelmed by all the support.
"It's awesome," dad Terry Depew said. "You can't go anywhere where people don't know her, and to see other cars saying 'Vote for Brittany' is cool, the way everybody has pulled together to do this for her."
Brittany won the vote for homecoming queen later Satuday night.
Her mom says it means a lot to Brittany to see the love from her classmates and neighbors.
lifestyle & fun
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 32 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 33 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014