Lifestyle & Fun
Renting homes out in New York area for Super Bowl for big money
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Super Bowl 48 at the Meadowlands is a few months out, but locals are already looking to cash in. That's because about 400,000 people are expected to visit New Jersey and New York, but there are only about 90,000 hotel rooms.
Jarrett and Nick each live minutes from where the Super Bowl will be February 2nd, and they're ready to play.
"I have never rented my home, but for $20,000, I'll take it," said Jarrett.
That's 20-Grand for the week for his two bedroom apartment, that he himself rents. Nick is offerning his 3 bedroom house in Hasbrouck Heights.
"I'm asking $2,500 a night with a minimum 5 night stay," he said.
They don't have takers yet, but history says they'll get it.
When the Super Bowl hit New Orleans and Dallas, because hotels were full or asking five times normal rates, normal people opened their homes.
If 20k sounds like a lot, think about it people from all over the world are looking online to find a place to stay when they come here. They can have a kitchen, a washer and dryer and be just 10 minutes from the stadium.
Good luck right now trying to book a hotel room during Super Bowl as most are already sold out, blocked or going for much more than the normal rates.
And some sites include a legal contract. But real estate experts warn renters or homeowners insurance will not cover any damage.
lifestyle & fun, michelle charlesworth
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli 5 min ago
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green