Lifestyle & Fun
Fashion world of Jean Paul Gaultier comes to Brooklyn
PROSPECT HEIGHTS (WABC) -- His fashion designs are known around the world, and now some of his most famous are coming to our area.
French designer Jean Paul Gaultier has been on the cutting edge of couture for decades.
And this week, you can get closer than ever to the iconic fashion.
It is a shining moment for Gaultier, the first time the legendary designer has ever had a full exhibition of his avant-garde creations and he picked the perfect place to showcase his treasures.
The Brooklyn Museum will be the setting for the spellbinding, complex world of Jean-Paul Gaultier.
"It's really about showing the strong social message in the world of Gaultier, how everyone is welcomed in his world, how there is no taboos or boundaries, whatever age, body shape, skin color or religion or gender is," said curator Thierry-Maxime Loriot.
The Frenchman showed me how part of the Brooklyn Museum has been transformed into a one of a kind exhibition.
'From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk' features 145 of Gaultier's cutting edge designs. Beyonce wore one during a concert. Madonna also deeply admires his work, which he chooses to display in a very distinct way.
"The first time I came to New York and I saw the department store, I said Oh my God, they know how to show one thing and it becomes a jewel and by the way you present it," said Gaultier. "So of course I must say my clothes aren't so bad, but also the way I put them together, I think it makes it even more richer, even richer."
Here there are many layers, showcasing Gaultier's sense of humor.
Real faces are projected onto 32 mannequins. Yes, there's one for him.
For nearly four decades, Gaultier has, no doubt, shaped the world of fashion.
But he tells me he's simply living his childhood dream, which to me, seeing all of this, I told him, is like being a kid on Christmas Day.
The Brooklyn Museum is the only East Coast venue for this exhibition.
It opens to the public on Friday and you have until Feb. 23rd to see it. I highly recommend you go.
lifestyle & fun, kemberly richardson
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon 5 min ago
- Suspect tries to abduct 11-year old boy in Queens 45 min ago
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014