Lifestyle & Fun
Talking turkey: tips for preparing Thanksgiving dinner
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There's stuffing, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce, but everyone knows the centerpiece of Thanksgiving dinner is the turkey.
There's a lot of pressure to not only cook, but pick out the perfect turkey.
Joining us with some tips was Ariane Daguin, the co-founder of gourmet food distributor D'Artagnan.
Here are some of her recipes.
Roast Turkey with Black Truffle Butter
Ingredients " 1 USDA-Certified Free-Range Organic Turkey, 12 to 14 lbs*
" 1 pound Black Truffle Butter*
" 1 recipe Garlic Confit
*Ingredients available at http://www.dartagnan.com
Preparation 1. Take turkey out of fridge about an hour before you plan to roast. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
2. Season the cavity of the bird liberally with salt and pepper.
3. Using your fingers, carefully pull skin away from breast and leg meat, being careful not to puncture the skin. Slice rounds of the black truffle butter and slide under the skin, making sure to place the rounds evenly under the skin.
4. Place a few confit garlic cloves inside the cavity and truss bird. Season the bird liberally with salt and pepper.
5. Place turkey in a V-rack in a large roasting pan, breast-side-up, and roast for 30 minutes.
6. Lower temperature to 325 degrees F and continue to roast for 15 to 16 minutes per pound, for an unstuffed bird. A thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh will register 175 degrees F. The breast will cook to 165 degrees F.
7. Remove turkey from the oven and let rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
Sauté of Chestnuts, Walnuts, Fennel & Onions
Ingredients " 1 1/2 cups Ready-to-Use Chestnuts*
" 20 pearl onions, blanched and peeled
" 2 tablespoons sugar
" 2 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter*
" 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
" 1 fennel bulb, cut into fine julienne, fronds reserved
" 4 shallots, cut lengthwise into eighths
" 1/2 cup walnut halves
" Duck and Veal Demi-Glace*, as needed
" Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
Preparation 1. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter each in two medium sauté pans over medium-high heat. Add the onions to one and the chestnuts to the other and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions and chestnuts have started to turn golden brown. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle each pan with 1 tablespoon sugar. Continue cooking the vegetables, stirring frequently to prevent burning, until evenly glazed and caramelized. Set aside.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons truffle butter in a large skillet over high heat and add shallots. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the shallots are translucent, one to two minutes. Add fennel and cook for another couple of minutes, stirring frequently, until the fennel and shallots have started to color. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed.
3. Add glazed chestnuts and onions to the pan with the shallots and fennel and cook everything together for another minute or so. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and add demi-glace by the tablespoon-full if the mixture seems dry. You may not need the demi-glace. Stir in walnuts and reserved fennel fronds and serve.
Brussels Sprouts with Heritage Hickory Smoked Bacon
Ingredients: " 6 slices D'Artagnan Heritage Hickory smoked Bacon*
" 4 tablespoons duck fat*
" 1 shallot, chopped
" 3lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed if needed
" Salt and pepper, to taste
" 1½ cup chicken stock
Preparation: 1. Warm bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat.
2. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain, then chop and set aside.
3. Add duck fat to the pan, swirl.
4. Add shallots to the pan and sauté 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add Brussels sprouts, tossing to coat in duck fat. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Cook Brussels sprouts 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften, then add 1 cup chicken stock. Bring broth to a bubble, cover and reduce heat to medium low.
7. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
8. Stir in duck bacon.
9. Serve immediately.
lifestyle & fun
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash