Lifestyle & Fun
Connecticut couple celebrates 81st anniversary
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (WABC) -- Their family thought it wouldn't last, but a Connecticut couple continues to prove their love stands the test of time.
John and Ann Betar of Bridgeport are celebrating their 81st wedding anniversary this week.
This past Valentine's Day, a California-based group named them the longest-married couple in the United States.
John is 102 and Ann is 98.
They eloped when she was 17 to avoid her father's plans to marry her off to a much older man.
The couple has five children, 14 grandchildren, and 16 great-grandchildren.
The Betars, who married in 1932, say the secret to their success is contentment and mutual respect.
lifestyle & fun
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera