Lifestyle & Fun
New Jersey canine crowned world's ugliest dog in 2007 dies
SEWELL, N.J. (WABC) -- A New Jersey canine that was crowned the world's ugliest dog in 2007 and later became the topic of a children's book preaching acceptance has died. Elwood was 8.
His owner, Karen Quigley, says the Chinese crested and Chihuahua mix died unexpectedly Thanksgiving morning. The Sewell resident says Elwood had been dealing with some heath issues in recent months but appeared to be doing well.
Elwood was dark colored and hairless - save for a puff of white fur resembling a Mohawk on his head. He was often referred to by fans as Yoda, or E.T., for his resemblance to those famous science-fiction characters.
Elwood won his crown at the annual ugly dog contest at the Marin-Sonoma County Fair in California a year after he had finished second.
dog, lifestyle & fun
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens 48 min ago
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade 33 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian...
48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
50 min ago