Teens Turn Themselves In For Dangerous Halloween Prank
(Woodbury, Long Island - WABC, November 15, 2005) (WABC) -- Tonight, a 13-year-old is blind in one eye after he was hit by an egg while out trick or treating.
Eyewitness News was there exclusively as the four students from Syosset High School turned themselves in.
Long Island reporter Lauren DeFranco joins us live from Woodbury.
All four teenagers turned themselves in to the 2nd Precinct late this afternoon and we're told all took part in this prank. Although police tell us this was not a deliberate act meant to hurt anyone, we're told drugs and alcohol played a role.
One by one the four teenagers turned themselves into police. Investigators tell us all are seniors at Syosset High School who took part in a dangerous prank. Police call the act of tossing an egg out of a moving vehicle foolish and reckless, but in this case the victim is a 13-year-old boy who may never see out of his right eye again.
Det Lt. Steven Skrynecki, Nassau County Police: "These individuals that were charged today, although they don't have any criminal background and they're not serious criminals, were engaging in an act that was potentially very hazardous, very reckless and in fact did cause a very serious injury that will impact this boy for the rest of his life."
It started out as a prank on Halloween night. Police say the teens packed into a Hummer and hurled the egg into a crowd of boys. It smashed into 13-year-old Thomas Palumbo's face and the egg shell scratched his right cornea. It's still unclear whether Palumbo will ever see out of his right eye again.
A high school senior asked us to conceal her identity.
Student: "They're learn a lesson. You shouldn't be throwing things out of your car anyway and just the results of it are horrible and it's not funny."
Those four seniors are charged with misdemeanor assault and harassment. The parents of the victim tell is their primary concern is with their son but they want these teenagers held accountable for their actions.
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,... 29 min ago
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Firebomb may have been used on police captain's home 50 min ago
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Connecticut rail service returns to normal
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger 14 min ago
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars 39 min ago
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma