Teens Turn Themselves In For Dangerous Halloween Prank
(Woodbury, Long Island - WABC, November 15, 2005) (WABC) -- Tonight, a 13-year-old is blind in one eye after he was hit by an egg while out trick or treating.
Eyewitness News was there exclusively as the four students from Syosset High School turned themselves in.
Long Island reporter Lauren DeFranco joins us live from Woodbury.
All four teenagers turned themselves in to the 2nd Precinct late this afternoon and we're told all took part in this prank. Although police tell us this was not a deliberate act meant to hurt anyone, we're told drugs and alcohol played a role.
One by one the four teenagers turned themselves into police. Investigators tell us all are seniors at Syosset High School who took part in a dangerous prank. Police call the act of tossing an egg out of a moving vehicle foolish and reckless, but in this case the victim is a 13-year-old boy who may never see out of his right eye again.
Det Lt. Steven Skrynecki, Nassau County Police: "These individuals that were charged today, although they don't have any criminal background and they're not serious criminals, were engaging in an act that was potentially very hazardous, very reckless and in fact did cause a very serious injury that will impact this boy for the rest of his life."
It started out as a prank on Halloween night. Police say the teens packed into a Hummer and hurled the egg into a crowd of boys. It smashed into 13-year-old Thomas Palumbo's face and the egg shell scratched his right cornea. It's still unclear whether Palumbo will ever see out of his right eye again.
A high school senior asked us to conceal her identity.
Student: "They're learn a lesson. You shouldn't be throwing things out of your car anyway and just the results of it are horrible and it's not funny."
Those four seniors are charged with misdemeanor assault and harassment. The parents of the victim tell is their primary concern is with their son but they want these teenagers held accountable for their actions.
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 51 min ago
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 47 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Sea Isle fire destroys 3 beachfront homes 39 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull 34 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
30 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
47 min ago