A Sneak Peek At Broadway's 'Jersey Boys'
(New York - WABC, December 5, 2005) (WABC) -- It's the hot new Broadway musical where a group of blue collar boys from the wrong side of the tracks make it to the big time.
Eyewitness New reporter Lauren Glassberg is here with a peek at Jersey Boys, the story of the Four Seasons.
It's the kind of show that's getting people to sing along during the performance, and even continue singing once the show has ended. The music is contagious and the story about four guys from Belleville, New Jersey is more intriguing than you may have expected.
It's Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Actually they're the Broadway actors playing the New Jersey quartet popular in the 60s. The show is called Jersey Boys and it was written by Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice.
You see, unlike the Beatles or the Rolling Stones, the Four Seasons never received much press. Yet, 13 of their songs made it to the top ten.
Now, four decades later, fans will learn the back story, that these four blue collar guys from the garden state narrowly avoided lives of crime. Their music in many ways saved them. That music was very much music about girls, but geared for guys.
Bob Gaudio wrote "Sherry" and many of his group's big songs. In retrospect he's thrilled that the Four Seasons didn't get the kind of press other bands got. He worked on the Broadway production, reviving those harmonies and the story of his and his bandmates lives.
Here's a bit of trivia: Joe Pesci the actor introduced Tommy Devito, Nick Massi, Frankie Valli and Bob Gaudio in 1959.
Jersey Boys is playing at the August Wilson Theater on West 52nd Street.
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet 3 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos