Gunman fatally shoots supermarket owner
(Jersey City - WABC, October 30, 2006) (WABC) -- A Jersey City grocer was murdered early Monday afternoon in an apparent robbery attempt.
The suspect remains at-large.
The shooting happened inside the G&P Deli and Grocery at 55 Webster Avenue in a neighborhood of Jersey City known as the Heights.
The Hudson County Prosecutor has confirmed the victim's identity as Fedelina Claros, 47 of Roselle, New Jersey. Her nickname is Buenaventura.
It is unknown if the woman was shot execution-style or simply shot as she resisted.
The family-owned corner grocery is said to have been a fixture in this working-class neighborhood for nearly thirty years.
"I would like to know who did it and why they would do something like that to her," a neighbor said. "As sweet as she was, she'd help anybody."
Investigators say the grocer was shot point-blank in the head and died instantly, while the suspect took off into the neighborhood.
Police say an intensive search has so far yielded no additional clues as to the shooter's whereabouts.
"She took care of everybody, she was very kind," a neighbor said. "If you didn't have enough changes, she'd let you go, come back and pay her. It's unfortunate."
Authorities say the suspect took money from the lottery machine and cash from the register.
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide