Farmer's market melee gang related?
(New York - WABC, December 7, 2006) (WABC) -- Police are questioning almost two dozen potential witnesses following a deadly stabbing at the farmer's market in Union Square. A teenager was killed when a brawl involving dozens of people erupted yesterday afternoon.
We've learned from police sources that investigators are looking into whether a gang called DDP -- known as Dominicans Don't Play -- was somehow involved in the brawl.
The violence was stunning and sudden. Witnesses saw a melee with perhaps 50 high schoolers wielding bats, knives and metal belt-buckles.
"You saw hands and fists flying. It went down like 'The Warriors,"' said book seller Derwin Hannah, 43, invoking a 1979 movie about a battle royale among New York City street gangs.
Seventeen-year-old Taishawn Bellevue of Brooklyn was stabbed to death. He was said to be a promising basketball player with aspirations.
Michelle Bellevue, Victim's Mother: " "This is all, I believe, envy," she said. "People just decide to hate on him, and I don't appreciate it, but God knows best."
A second teen, Glenwood Nobles, was stabbed six times in the back. He's in Saint Vincent's Hospital in stable condition.
And another teen, Carlos Tejada was slashed across the head. He was treated and released.
Police say a mob of teenagers started gathering along the edge of the square just before four in the afternoon. Then, without warning, they charged into the Union Square farmer's market, scattering shoppers as the fighting turned bloody, and then deadly.
The dead teen, Taishawn Bellevue, attended Science of Skills High School. So far no arrests have been made.
Two other students from the schools were injured in the brawl. They are recovering.
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 47 min ago
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players 8 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos