Arrest in Union Square market melee
(New York - WABC, December 7, 2006) (WABC) -- Police say a 16-year-old teen has been arrested in connection with the deadly brawl at the farmer's market in Union Square. 17-year-old Taishawn Bellevue was killed.
Eyewitness News is told, 16-year-old Francisco Baez is charged with murder, gang assault and criminal possession of a weapon.
Bellevue was fatally stabbed in the chest while two other teens were injured.
Just yesterday police sources said that investigators were looking into whether a gang called DDP, known as Dominicans Don't Play, was somehow involved in the brawl.
The violence was stunning and sudden. Witnesses saw a melee with perhaps 50 high schoolers wielding bats, knives and metal belt-buckles.
"You saw hands and fists flying. It went down like 'The Warriors,"' said book seller Derwin Hannah, 43, invoking a 1979 movie about a battle royale among New York City street gangs.
Seventeen-year-old Taishawn Bellevue of Brooklyn was stabbed to death. He was said to be a promising basketball player with aspirations.
Michelle Bellevue, Victim's Mother: " "This is all, I believe, envy," she said. "People just decide to hate on him, and I don't appreciate it, but God knows best."
A second teen, Glenwood Nobles, was stabbed six times in the back. He's in Saint Vincent's Hospital in stable condition.
And another teen, Carlos Tejada was slashed across the head. He was treated and released.
Police say a mob of teenagers started gathering along the edge of the square just before four in the afternoon. Then, without warning, they charged into the Union Square farmer's market, scattering shoppers as the fighting turned bloody, and then deadly.
The dead teen, Taishawn Bellevue, attended Science of Skills High School. So far no arrests have been made.
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role 58 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014