Arrest in Union Square market melee
(New York - WABC, December 7, 2006) (WABC) -- Police say a 16-year-old teen has been arrested in connection with the deadly brawl at the farmer's market in Union Square. 17-year-old Taishawn Bellevue was killed.
Eyewitness News is told, 16-year-old Francisco Baez is charged with murder, gang assault and criminal possession of a weapon.
Bellevue was fatally stabbed in the chest while two other teens were injured.
Just yesterday police sources said that investigators were looking into whether a gang called DDP, known as Dominicans Don't Play, was somehow involved in the brawl.
The violence was stunning and sudden. Witnesses saw a melee with perhaps 50 high schoolers wielding bats, knives and metal belt-buckles.
"You saw hands and fists flying. It went down like 'The Warriors,"' said book seller Derwin Hannah, 43, invoking a 1979 movie about a battle royale among New York City street gangs.
Seventeen-year-old Taishawn Bellevue of Brooklyn was stabbed to death. He was said to be a promising basketball player with aspirations.
Michelle Bellevue, Victim's Mother: " "This is all, I believe, envy," she said. "People just decide to hate on him, and I don't appreciate it, but God knows best."
A second teen, Glenwood Nobles, was stabbed six times in the back. He's in Saint Vincent's Hospital in stable condition.
And another teen, Carlos Tejada was slashed across the head. He was treated and released.
Police say a mob of teenagers started gathering along the edge of the square just before four in the afternoon. Then, without warning, they charged into the Union Square farmer's market, scattering shoppers as the fighting turned bloody, and then deadly.
The dead teen, Taishawn Bellevue, attended Science of Skills High School. So far no arrests have been made.
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters 51 min ago
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city 53 min ago
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
53 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
44 min ago
- Avonte's mother continues search with new...
51 min ago