Dining with a blindfold on
NEW YORK (WABC) -- How's this for a unique restaurant dining experience: Not being able to see anything that's on your plate!
One-by-one the masks go on and the journey into darkness begins. And they'll stay this way for the next two hours as they eat dinner at Camaje Bistro in the Village.
Dana Salisbury came up with the idea for dark dining several years ago when she peeled an orange with her eyes closed.
"When I peeled it the oils from the orange went all over my face and I thought this is transformational," Dana said.
So she launched these dinners. This one was held on Halloween -- and as you might imagine dining blindfolded creates some interesting challenges: from spills to the attempts at toasting to finding the food on your plate and then finding your mouth.
And by the way, the guests are never told what they're eating so smell and taste and even touch become that much more important.
The sensory deprivation certainly gets you thinking, and it seems to gets plenty of diners touching.
To further enhance the mood there's live entertainment. Diners seem to listen a little more closely with the blindfolds on.
And it isn't until they're back outside that they finally get to see the menu.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Camaje Bistro's Dark Dining page
local news, lauren glassberg
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder days ahead 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 4 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store 49 min ago
- Man found alive in body bag dies weeks later 35 min ago
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Milder days ahead
34 min ago