Car hits woman, then scaffolding
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- A woman about to become an American citizen was struck by an out-of-control car careened into scaffolding in Downtown Brooklyn.
Eyewitness News is told the woman is very serious condition at hospital. She and her family were about to cross the street, to become U.S. citizens at the court house.
"We were going for a three hour citizenship and this guy comes and just hit my wife," the victim's husband said.
Police say the woman was hit by the vehicle, right in front of her family on Cadman Plaza West just before 7:30 a.m.
The family was headed to the federal courthouse to become American citizens. Then they say, without any warning there was a screeching of brakes.
"All I heard was a bang and when I turned around I saw my mom on the floor," the victim's son said.
"I saw her flung across the street," the victim's daughter.
The car, believed to be a livery car did not stop, it then crashed into scaffolding around a building. Police rushed to the scene at Cadman Plaza West.
The victim was taken to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition. The driver was treated at the scene.
A contractor will stabilize the scaffolding.
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk 26 min ago
- Demolition to begin at Edison school gutted by fire 16 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 40 min ago
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos