Car hits woman, then scaffolding
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- A woman about to become an American citizen was struck by an out-of-control car careened into scaffolding in Downtown Brooklyn.
Eyewitness News is told the woman is very serious condition at hospital. She and her family were about to cross the street, to become U.S. citizens at the court house.
"We were going for a three hour citizenship and this guy comes and just hit my wife," the victim's husband said.
Police say the woman was hit by the vehicle, right in front of her family on Cadman Plaza West just before 7:30 a.m.
The family was headed to the federal courthouse to become American citizens. Then they say, without any warning there was a screeching of brakes.
"All I heard was a bang and when I turned around I saw my mom on the floor," the victim's son said.
"I saw her flung across the street," the victim's daughter.
The car, believed to be a livery car did not stop, it then crashed into scaffolding around a building. Police rushed to the scene at Cadman Plaza West.
The victim was taken to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition. The driver was treated at the scene.
A contractor will stabilize the scaffolding.
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn 17 min ago
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 2 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 27 min ago
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos