Car hits woman, then scaffolding
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- A woman about to become an American citizen was struck by an out-of-control car careened into scaffolding in Downtown Brooklyn.
Eyewitness News is told the woman is very serious condition at hospital. She and her family were about to cross the street, to become U.S. citizens at the court house.
"We were going for a three hour citizenship and this guy comes and just hit my wife," the victim's husband said.
Police say the woman was hit by the vehicle, right in front of her family on Cadman Plaza West just before 7:30 a.m.
The family was headed to the federal courthouse to become American citizens. Then they say, without any warning there was a screeching of brakes.
"All I heard was a bang and when I turned around I saw my mom on the floor," the victim's son said.
"I saw her flung across the street," the victim's daughter.
The car, believed to be a livery car did not stop, it then crashed into scaffolding around a building. Police rushed to the scene at Cadman Plaza West.
The victim was taken to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition. The driver was treated at the scene.
A contractor will stabilize the scaffolding.
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations 54 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago 45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos