Car hits woman, then scaffolding
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- A woman about to become an American citizen was struck by an out-of-control car careened into scaffolding in Downtown Brooklyn.
Eyewitness News is told the woman is very serious condition at hospital. She and her family were about to cross the street, to become U.S. citizens at the court house.
"We were going for a three hour citizenship and this guy comes and just hit my wife," the victim's husband said.
Police say the woman was hit by the vehicle, right in front of her family on Cadman Plaza West just before 7:30 a.m.
The family was headed to the federal courthouse to become American citizens. Then they say, without any warning there was a screeching of brakes.
"All I heard was a bang and when I turned around I saw my mom on the floor," the victim's son said.
"I saw her flung across the street," the victim's daughter.
The car, believed to be a livery car did not stop, it then crashed into scaffolding around a building. Police rushed to the scene at Cadman Plaza West.
The victim was taken to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition. The driver was treated at the scene.
A contractor will stabilize the scaffolding.
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: 'Amazing' no one died in train crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Authorities: Hofstra student in home invasion was killed by... 5 min ago
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Video: Marine, dog reunited in surprise ceremony
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos