Deadly shooting outside Yonkers building
YONKERS (WABC) -- One person has died following a double-shooting outside an apartment complex in Yonkers.
Eyewitness News reporter Jamie Roth has the latest.
Police were on the scene all morning, investigating outside an apartment complex on Helena Avenue. They have been there since 9 p.m. Monday.
Neighbors said they have been complaining about the complex where the shooting happened for years.
"I hear 4 or 5 shots," one neighbor said. "I opened up the window and I saw a commotion."
Shots were reportedly fired by three people in front of the complex, but only two men suffered gunshot wounds.
One man, a 22-year-old, was shot in the chest. He was taken to Lawrence Hospital Center in Bronxville where he later died.
The other man, also a 22-year-old, was shot in the back, but he survived.
"You have a feeling that you live in a nice place and then, not one, two, but three guns are found," another neighbor said.
Yonkers City Councilman John Murtagh says he has gotten complaints about this complex for years, for things like drug dealing and strangers congregating in the parking lot.
"This is obviously a dramatic step up in the kinds of problems we've had and therefore, we'll have to step up the way the housing authority and police in the city address it," Murtagh said.
Police say they would like to talk to the 22-year-old man who survived his gunshot wound, but they say he is still in Lawrence Hospital.
They are not sure if he was actively involved in the shooting or an innocent bystander.
So far, there is no word on a motive and there have been no arrests.
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen